The “single word replier”, the “rambler” and the “black hole” are three of the five main email personalities. Careers experts have narrowed it down to these:
- The Black Hole - Someone who never responds to their emails. The best way to deal with this type of personality is not to email them repeatedly, but to get them on the phone or if you work in the same location, swing by their desk.
- The Over-Communicator - The one who regularly sends an array of emails, and even stops by your desk to tell you that they have just sent an email. The best way to manage this type of email personality is by responding to their emails as soon as possible.
- The Rambler - This person is a fan of sending long emails that take paragraphs and paragraphs to make the simplest points. If you're dealing with a “rambler”, skim what they say as quickly as possible to pick out any relevant information.
- The Single Word Replier - This person often just gets back to important emails that require more information with sharp responses like “Okay”, “No” or “Wednesday”. In order to have a good working relationship with this type of email personality, keep your communication with them friendly and to-the-point.
- The LOLCats Sender - This person sends you everything - from memes to inspirational quotes and cat videos to keep you distracted through the working day. If you're someone who can't deal with these emails, try politely requesting that you are not CCd into them.
photo credit: Getty Images